Contact us
+1 (306) 715-3755

Hiring of a Temporary Worker as an In-Home Caregiver

Helping Families Fulfill Dreams

Hire a Temporary Worker as an In-Home Caregiver

Families can hire a foreign caregiver to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors or persons with certified medical needs, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.

Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), families can hire foreign caregivers. However, the caregivers must:

  • provide care on a full-time basis (minimum 30 hours per week)
  • work in the private household where the care is being provided
  • meet the requirements set Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

These families or private household employers will be able to hire foreign workers, on a live-in or live out basis, for 2 categories of in-home workers, which include:

1. Caregivers for children
  • Children under 18 years of age

This category could include positions such as:

Child care provider, live-in caregiver, nanny (NOC 4411)

2. Caregivers for people with high medical needs
  • elderly persons, 65 years of age or over
  • people with disabilities, a chronic or terminal illness.

This category could include positions such as:

  • A registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012)
  • Licensed practical nurse (NOC 3233)
  • Attendant for persons with disabilities, home support worker, live-in caregiver, personal care attendant (NOC 4412)

Note: Foreign caregivers working in Canada may be eligible for permanent residency, provided they meet IRCC requirements. 

Employers must meet the program requirements for the Streams for high-wage or Low-wage positions including paying the prevailing wage for the occupation in the location where the work will be performed and conducting the necessary recruitment and advertisement requirements for the stream.

Alexene Immigration and Employment Services Inc has a proven experience and expertise in handling application and processing of this application. Contact us to know more about how we can assist you in hiring a temporary worker as an in-home caregiver for your children, parents or grandparents. 

Need help? Find answers to your questions.

Did you find this information helpful? Share this link.